The Trails at Pownalborough Court House

Directly across the road (ME Rt. 128) from the Pownalborough Court  House, 150 acres of woods are home to  over three miles of trails including a 1500’ accessible trail leading from a parking area.

The trails provide a beautiful and walkable system  that includes ravines with dells and unusually tall old  trees. Located on the western flank of the ridge that  divides the Eastern and Kennebec Rivers, the system  contains a number of unique features that make it an  appealing and distinctive destination. Much of the  trail system traverses a mostly mature woodland  comprised principally of white pine and groves of  eastern hemlock that follows a route overlooking a  stream and fern meadows. 

The system contains many loop trails with varying  terrain and a number of options for hiking distance.

The trails at Pownalborough Court House are meant for walking, hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country  skiing only. No bicycles, horses, or motorized vehicles are allowed.


The land on which the Pownalborough Court House  & trails are located was the traditional home to  Wabanaki people since time immemorial. By 1758,  however, they were forced out after years of violent  conflict and disease brought by European colonists.  Despite this forced removal, the Wabanaki are not a  relic of the past. They continue to live in Maine today  where they hold fast to their cultural identity,  languages, and self-determination. 

Designed by Boston architect Gershom Flagg and  built in 1761 by the Kennebec Proprietors for the  newly created Lincoln County, the Pownalborough  Court House received such notable visitors as John  Adams, Robert Treat Paine, William Cushing,  Reverend Jacob Bailey, and two future Massachusetts  governors, David Sewall and James Sullivan. 

The Court House also served as a tavern, a place for  church services, a dance school, and the Dresden Post  Office from 1807-1855. In addition to its vital role in  the legal history of Lincoln County and Maine, the  Court House was a family home. Capt. Samuel  Goodwin, an original Kennebec Proprietor and  captain of the guard at Fort Shirley, moved his family  into the Court House in 1761 and his descendants  lived in the building until 1954.